Monday, March 23, 2015
Get lite maan, get lite!
Hebrews 12:1b (NKJV) – …let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us.
I vacationed in the Caribbean on one occasion and was in a cab with others that I didn’t know. We were all in route to a golf course for a round of golf. One of the gentlemen kept insisting, in an aggravating way, to the driver that he ‘speed up’ to quickly get us there. Well, after the third or fourth time, the driver turned to him and said (in his Caribbean accent), “Get lite maan, get lite.” We all understood exactly what he was telling the gentleman. Note this gentleman was supposed to be on vacation but he was so heavy with weights and encumbrances that not only could he not enjoy his time off but no one around him could either.
In Hebrews 12:1b, Jesus invites us to “get lite maan” and to rid ourselves of those things that may be hindering the peace, joy, success we want to have in our lives. There may be any number of things we need to rid ourselves of.
The Bible gives us examples for consideration:
- Worldly allurements cheated Lot’s wife (Genesis 19:26). Is the attraction to the world pulling us out of a focus on Christ?
- Man’s advice and devices delayed David’s victory (Genesis 19:26). Are we depending on man alone for critical answers in our lives?
- Unbelief of others hindered Christ in Nazareth (Matthew 13:58). Is the unbelief around us draining us to the point of being ineffective?
- Worldly possession kept the rich young ruler from discipleship (Matthew 19:22). Have our possession become our priority and focus?
- Family ties prevented a man from following Christ (Luke 9:59). Have we allowed family to detour us from Christ?
Take a moment today and ask God what might be hindering your forward progress in Him. Once discovered make the necessary adjustment and find a way to go forward daily!