Daily Word for Wednesday, May 13, 2015
I once saw an interview of a Catholic priest who worked with career convicts in a business that was flourishing and ran by the ex-convicts. The interviewer was fearful for the priest’s well-being and asked if he was afraid of being taken advantage of.
The priest replied, “No, I am not! I’ve given all my advantage away so there’s nothing to take.” I will never forget that statement. That was a major paradigm-shifting moment for me.
In Psalm 23: 2-3, David captures this same idea:
1. “He makes me lie down in green pastures.”
• When I give up my right, His rule gives me sweet repose.
2. “He leads me beside still waters.”
• When I give up my right, His rule gives me sweet peace.
3. “He restores my soul.”
• When I give up my right, His rule gives me sweet restoration.
4. “He leads me in the path of righteousness.”
• When I give up my right, His rule gives me sweet fellowship with Him.
Let’s do what the priest did and give up our advantage, so we don’t fear anything taking advantage of us. Rest in the sweet care of your shepherd!