Daily Word for Friday, August 14, 2015
I Samuel 30:6 – Now David was greatly distressed, for the people spoke of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and his daughters. But David strengthened himself in the LORD his God.
David, in this crisis of major proportion, was faced with not only the same losses his contemporaries faced but as their leader he was burdened with some level of responsibility related to providing direction for the people he led.
The text above indicates that the people blamed David for their losses to the degree that they wanted to stone him. David was greatly distressed yet, in the midst of this stressful situation, he did something that was original in the group he was in.
The text further tells us they all wept until they had no more power to weep; that they all grieved, every man for his sons and his daughters. But note that David is the only one in the crowd that began to encourage or strengthen himself in the Lord his God.
When David began to encourage himself in the Lord, his position and condition began to change. Note the movement as he did so.
• He moved toward God.
– Moving toward God will always take us away from the ordinary and sets the stage for the extraordinary.
• He moved toward mercy and grace.
– Mercy and grace are doors to recovery.
• He moved toward the wisdom of God.
– The wisdom of God is never an answer to our situation; it is THE ANSWER!
• He moved toward recovering all he lost.
– Moving toward God, mercy, grace and wisdom sets us up for recovering everything we lost.
So my friend, get strong in your God who is your strength and meditate today on the following scriptures:
Psalm 28:8 – The LORD is their strength and He is the saving refuge of His anointed.
Psalm 46:1 – God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Psalm 84:5 – Blessed is the man whose strength is in You, whose heart is set on pilgrimage.
Peace and blessings!