Daily Word for Monday, August 17, 2015
I Samuel 30:9 – So David went, he and the six hundred men who were with him, and came to the Brook Besor, where those stayed who were left behind.
In I Samuel 30:9, the statement, “so David went” pops off the screen for me. There was no further conversation, no second guessing or no need to consult anyone else; he just went.
What would our lives be if we just did what God says to us without question? Just go where and when He tells us to go.
I believe following God’s instruction is related to how we’ve learned to follow the instruction of others. In other words, we may have a predisposition toward not following well. To improve we will need to retrain ourselves to be better in several areas.
Let’s consider a few areas we can begin to further develop:
1. Our response to leadership
Hebrews 13:17 – Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you.
• Obedience and submission are two keys to improve our response to leadership.
2. Our hearing.
Proverbs 1:8 – My son, hear the instruction of your father, and do not forsake the law of your mother.
• Hearing is more than the functioning of our ears. How we hear has to do with our hearts as well.
• Presupposition can strongly influence what we hear.
• We hear more effectively if we listen to what is being said as well as what is not being said.
• I once read a statement about hearing God that says, “The ear that hears the voice of the Spirit is the one that’s not listening to anything else.”
3. Distractions will totally destroy your ability to hear; shut them down and be fully attentive.
John 10:27 – My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.
4. What we hear impacts how we hear.
• What we are listening to is seed that will bring a harvest for our lives.
Mark 4:23-24 – If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear.” 24 Then He said to them, “Take heed what you hear. With the same measure you use, it will be measured to you; and to you who hear, more will be given.
I John 4:1 – Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
My friend, start here and build the ability to hear and follow hard after God.
Peace and blessings!