Manna For Today: Tuesday, October 27, 2015
Today’s scripture reading: Proverbs 23
1. Proverbs 23:4-5 – Don’t wear yourself out trying to get rich. Be wise enough to know when to quit. 5 In the blink of an eye wealth disappears, for it will sprout wings and fly away like an eagle.
• In a culture filled with enticement to gain wealth, we must guard our hearts and be grateful for what we have. “Godliness with contentment is great gain.”
2. Proverbs 23:9 – Don’t waste your breath on fools, for they will despise the wisest advice.
• It is better to privately have a question about the wisdom of others than to engage them and be relieved of all doubt.
3. Proverbs 23:12 – Commit yourself to instruction; listen carefully to words of knowledge.
• Adherence to proper instruction prevents misapplication and failure. It is better to ask questions for clarity than to rely on your own thinking and miss an opportunity.
4. Proverbs 23:13-14 – Don’t fail to discipline your children. The rod of punishment won’t kill them. 14 Physical discipline may well save them from death.
• There are many ways we can discipline our children. Wise parents listen to God and study their children to know the most effective way of achieving the end goal.
5. Proverbs 23:15-16 – My child, if your heart is wise, my own heart will rejoice! 16 Everything in me will celebrate when you speak what is right.
• It’s amazing to think that we can make our heavenly Father smile. Practice walking in His wisdom today and put a smile on the face of God.
6. Proverbs 23:22 – Listen to your father, who gave you life, and don’t despise your mother when she is old.
• Honor your father and mother.” This is the first commandment with a promise: 3 If you honor your father and mother, “things will go well for you, and you will have a long life on the earth.” – Ephesians 6:2-3
7. Proverbs 23:24 – The father of godly children has cause for joy. What a pleasure to have children who are wise.
• Be merciful to your children; their struggle may find its origin in you. It’s impossible for them to be you; you’re daily discovering who you are!
8. Proverbs 23:26 – O my son, give me your heart. May your eyes take delight in following my ways.
• Nothing would make our heavenly Father happier than watching His children make wise decisions.
Peace and blessings!