Manna for Today: Thursday, October 29, 2015
Today’s scripture reading: Proverbs 25, 26 and 27
1. Proverbs 25:11 – Timely advice is lovely, like golden apples in a silver basket.
• “There’s nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has come.” When God inspires us, the only thing required is initiative.
2. Proverbs 25:13 – Trustworthy messengers refresh like snow in summer. They revive the spirit of their employer.
• Just as God refreshes us daily, we too must refresh others daily. There’s nothing more refreshing than getting what’s needed in a time of crisis.
3. Proverbs 25:21-22 – If your enemies are hungry, give them food to eat. If they are thirsty, give them water to drink. 22 You will heap burning coals of shame on their heads, and the LORD will reward you.
• The reward of the Lord is for those who will love their enemies. Pray that their shame will draw them to Him.
4. Proverbs 26:20 – Fire goes out without wood, and quarrels disappear when gossip stops.
• The question we might ask ourselves today is, are the fires burning in my life those which I have provided fuel for? Drop your logs!
5. Proverbs 26:27 – If you set a trap for others, you will get caught in it yourself. If you roll a boulder down on others, it will crush you instead.
• The traps we lay for people are a reflection of our own captivity.
6. Proverbs 27:1 – Don’t brag about tomorrow, since you don’t know what the day will bring.
• Lord teach us to live today in a way that brings You glory. Help us to help others we encounter.
7. Proverbs 27:5 – An open rebuke is better than hidden love!
• God has designed us to need each other and to live in community with each other. Don’t withhold what you are designed by God to give.
8. Proverbs 27:17 – As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.
• Sharp objects can be useful when handled correctly. Motivation for sharpening can influence use. Be careful who you allow to sharpen you.
9. Proverbs 27:18 – As workers who tend a fig tree are allowed to eat the fruit, so workers who protect their employer’s interests will be rewarded.
• The best way to ensure your business is being taken care of is to take care of His!
10. Proverbs 27:21 – Fire tests the purity of silver and gold, but a person is tested by being praised.
• How we respond to attention will reveal much about us. Give God glory for all you accomplish and He will enable you to accomplish much.
Peace and blessings!