Manna For Today: Saturday, October 31, 2015
Today’s scripture reading: Proverbs 28 – 31
1. Proverbs 28:1 – The wicked run away when no one is chasing them, but the godly are as bold as lions.
• “Just because I always think they are after me doesn’t mean they aren’t.” Thank God we have not been given a spirit of fear and timidity but of power, love and self-discipline [II Timothy 1:7].
2. Proverbs 28:15 – A wicked ruler is as dangerous to the poor as a roaring lion or an attacking bear.
• Contemplate the damage a lion or bear can do to a human and pray that you will never harm anyone in that way.
3. Proverbs 28:19 – A hard worker has plenty of food, but a person who chases fantasies ends up in poverty.
• Quick and easy are codes for failure and loss. God gives us patterns to follow and processes to go through. Shortcuts are long cuts in disguise.
4. Proverbs 28:26 – Those who trust their own insight are foolish, but anyone who walks in wisdom is safe.
• Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding [Proverbs 3:5].
• When you walk, you won’t be held back; when you run, you won’t stumble [Proverbs 14:12].
5. Proverbs 29:7 – The godly care about the rights of the poor; the wicked don’t care at all.
• Concern for the poor is a major theme in the Bible. It was demonstrated in the Ministry of Christ and should be duplicated in our lives.
6. Proverbs 29:20 – There is more hope for a fool than for someone who speaks without thinking.
• Silence is a spiritual discipline that pays huge dividend with timely execution.
7. Proverbs 29:26 – Many seek the ruler’s favor, but justice comes from the LORD.
• Never mistake people for your source and never forget who your source is. The only one you can really count on is the Lord; for everyone else, the question of sustainability comes into play.
8. Proverbs 30:1-3 – The sayings of Agur son of Jakeh contain this message. I am weary, O God; I am weary and worn out, O God. 2 I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense. 3 I have not mastered human wisdom, nor do I know the Holy One.
• Being godly honest, even when it’s difficult to say or hard to hear, is cathartic. Let the healing begin today by being honest with God about yourself.
9. Proverbs 30:5 – Every word of God proves true. He is a shield to all who come to him for protection.
• Thank You, gracious and kind Father, for being our truth, shield and protection. Where would we be without You?
10. Proverbs 31:11-14 – Her husband can trust her, and she will greatly enrich his life. 12 She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. 13 She finds wool and flax and busily spins it. 14 She is like a merchant’s ship, bringing her food from afar.
• Father, help us to honor our mother and father! Enable us to see ourselves as we really are and to correct what’s wrong. Cause our gaze to be always on You and give us an appetite for Your Word above all else.
Peace and blessings!