Manna For Today: Tuesday, May 10, 2016
Matthew 5:13 – You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless.
The phrase ‘not worth his salt’ comes from the fact that salt was valued in ancient cultures. Soldiers were often paid in salt. Salt then was different from salt now. It was possible for salt to lose its flavor.
Our salt is a chemical compound called chloride of sodium or sodium chloride. Ancient salt was a mix of minerals and vegetables mined or gathered from the Dead Sea. Exposure to the elements could easily cause it to lose its flavor. In the same way, Christians can lose their ‘saltiness.’
Perhaps it would be appropriate to have a ‘salt’ check today.
Ask yourself these questions:
1. Has my thirst for God dissipated?
2. Has my spiritual influence with others become anemic?
3. Has anyone become ‘salted’ because of my ‘saltiness’ lately?
4. Do I have a sense of my own saltiness?
5. Does anything in my life gives evidence to my saltiness?
Ask and answer these questions then take your answers to God for direction and correction!
Peace and blessings!