Manna For Today: Saturday, November 11, 2017
Don’t get bitter, get better!
David, in a season of major crisis, took specific steps to avoid getting bitter and assured that he got better. Consider the following principles for your own reference:
1. Be honest and confess your anguish.
I Samuel 30:4-6 – They wept until they could weep no more. David’s two wives, Ahinoam from Jezreel and Abigail, the widow of Nabal from Carmel, were among those captured. David was now in great danger because all his men were very bitter about losing their sons and daughters, and they began to talk of stoning him. But David found strength in the LORD his God.
• Don’t lie to yourself or others.
• The secrets we keep can trap us emotionally.
• Be self-revealing and not self-concealing.
2. Learn to encourage yourself in your God.
I Samuel 30:6 – David was now in great danger because all his men were very bitter about losing their sons and daughters, and they began to talk of stoning him. But David found strength in the LORD his God.
• Remember what God has done in your life.
• Review what God said and did in the Bible.
• Regard God as bigger than your problems.
• Repeat what God says.
• Relationship; spend time with God and courageous people.
3. Focus on God’s answers to your dilemma.
I Samuel 30:8 – Then David asked the LORD, “Should I chase after this band of raiders? Will I catch them?” And the LORD told him, “Yes, go after them. You will surely recover everything that was taken from you!”
• Deepen through prayer and meditation.
Joshua 1:8 – Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do.
• Discern; listen to your spirit.
John 16:13 – When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own but will tell you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future.
• Depend on God’s Word.
Psalm 19:10 – They are more desirable than gold, even the finest gold. They are sweeter than honey, even honey dripping from the comb.
• Dismiss all unbelief in any form.
II Corinthians 6:14 – Don’t team up with those who are unbelievers. How can righteousness be a partner with wickedness? How can light live with darkness?
Remember, you are loved!
Peace and blessings!